NSW Police News
A 72-hour crackdown targeting drink-driving on NSW roads has concluded and senior police have described the results as ‘promising’ despite some motorists still getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.
‘Operation Drink Drive I’ began at midnight on Wednesday (24 February 2010) and concluded at 23.59hrs on Saturday (27 February 2010).
Acting Traffic Services Commander, Acting Assistant Commissioner Mick Fuller, says a similar number of breath tests were conducted this year in relation to last year, but the number of people caught drink-driving has more than halved.
“During this year’s three day operation, extra policing resources were deployed across the state to target intoxicated motorists, with a total of 136,484 breath tests conducted and 241 drink-driving charges laid,” Acting Asst Comm Fuller said.
“In a similar operation last year, 126,934 breath tests were conducted resulting in a total of 489 drink-driving charges.”
“Comparing the figures, the number of charges laid during our latest operation is more than 50% less than last year, despite a greater number of breath tests being conducted this year.”
“These results are promising and indicate that the drink-driving message is getting through, but there’s still a long way to go and I would warn drivers against becoming complacent.”
“Don’t think for a moment that you can get away with driving whilst intoxicated.”
“Police will maintain their campaign against irresponsible driver behaviour.”
“If you drink-drive, exceed the speed limit, use a mobile phone whilst driving, or don’t wear your seatbelt, you will be caught,” Acting Asst Comm Fuller said.